After meeting Bobby Flay and our little talk about wonderful aroma of fresh pumpkin puree I was really inspired to make warm and cozy pumpkin soup from scratch. Good friend of mine who lives in Seattle asked me to send her my recipe so here I am writing this article. I have to admit last night we really enjoyed our family dinner. It was absolutely delicious and I am proud to share this soup recipe with everybody.
Cream of Pumpkin Soup
- 6 cups chopped fresh organic sugar pie pumpkin with skin
- 6 fresh parsnips (for the broth)
- 1 big ambrosia apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium red onion, grilled (for the broth)
- 1 cup fat-free half & half
- 2 garlic cloves (for the broth)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- fresh black peppercorns (for the broth)
Toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup fresh pumpkin seeds
- 1 teaspoon butter
- allspice, fresh pepper and sea salt
- In a big stainless still pot, combine pumpkin peaces and apples. Cover and cook on high for 45 minutes or until pumpkin and apple are tender.
- In smaller pot combine parsnip, garlic, onion (oven grilled on 475 for 8 minutes), black pepper cones and salt to taste.
- Meanwhile, toss pumpkin seeds with melted butter, sea salt and allspice. Spread onto an ungreased baking pan. Bake at 250° for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside.
- Cool soup slightly; process in a blender adding slowly parsnip broth and fat-free half & half, salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving (1 cup) equals 100 calories, 2 g fat , 0 cholesterol, 450 mg sodium, 6 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Great addition to this healthy soup is Chicken Forestiere . This time I got mine in the Whole Foods market. The produce and meat are organic and always fresh. Chicken Forestiere is filled with mushrooms, chives , spices, grated parmigiano reggiano cheese and coated in whole wheat bread crumbs. I baked chicken breast for 45 minutes on 450. When temperature on cooking thermometer reaches 185/190 meat is ready.
Slice of country style rye bread is just perfect for this meal.
This is how everything looked like thanks to my great hubby and his photography. Delicious, warm and so good for you.
Smiley kids faces around dining table, priceless.